d


 FREE On-line Search
Decatur, Ga Real Estate and Georgia homes for sale

Click Here to Sign Up for New 
Decatur, Ga Real Estate Listings
You'll receive the latest and newest listings by e-mail!


Today's Featured Listing!
Contact us to have your Decatur, Ga Home For Sale featured here!

d

unique! unique! unique!  own this urban log cabin, and be the envy of all your friends!

Location:
Decatur, GA

3 Bedrooms/2 Bathrooms

Only $379,900  Reduced from $399,900

Call for Details.
  678-252-1991

3BR/2BA chalet-style log home constructed of rare white pine -- conveniently located in the hip City of Decatur with easy access to just about everywhere.

Step inside and experience this magical home for yourself.

Walking distance to seasonal venues, boutiques, and top-rated restaurants

in the nearby Downtown Decatur and Oakhurst areas.



Decatur, Ga
 is the county seat of Dekalb County Georgia. Decatur is located just to the east of Atlanta, Georgia .  The City of Decatur's motto reads, "A city of homes, churches, and schools." It is one of the major cities in the fast growing metro Atlanta. Decatur is a historic city of schools (DeKalb County Ga Schools), parks, homes, religious centers, community life, and many local attractions located in between Atlanta and Stone Mountain, Georgia. Decatur City is a proud and historically conscious city were its citizens now do everything possible to maintain and preserve their history. There is a group in Decatur called, the Decatur Preservation Alliance. Their goal is to continue the upkeep and remembrance of their great cities legacy.

 


In 1823, Decatur was founded at the intersection of two Native American trails.

 

d
101 E. Court Square
In 1823, the site for the public square was chosen at a point where two Indian trails met. The present courthouse is the fifth built on this site. Constructed in 1898, the building suffered extensive fire damage in 1917 and was rebuilt utilizing the granite walls and great columns of the original structure. It now serves as a welcome center and the home of the DeKalb History Center.

The town was named for naval hero Stephen Decatur. In the 1830s, the Western and Atlantic Railroad wanted to make Decatur the southernmost stop on its railroad. The citizens of Decatur did not want the noise, pollution and growth that would come with such a major terminal, so they rejected the proposal. In response, the railroad founded a new city to the west of Decatur for the terminal. This town would later become known as Atlanta, Georgia.
 

During the American Civil War, Decatur became a strategic site in Sherman's campaign against Atlanta. In July of 1864 Union general James B. McPherson occupied Decatur to cut off the Confederate's supply line from Augusta, Georgia. During the Battle of Atlanta on July 22, Confederate cavalry under Major General Joseph Wheeler attacked McPherson's supply wagons and the Union troops left to defend the wagons. A marker at the Decatur courthouse marks the site of this skirmish.

 

Of the many attractions in Decatur, the Old Decatur Courthouse on the square in 1823 was the first of five courthouses built on that single location site. According to the history of Decatur the courthouse was built on the path where two Indian trails crossed. The present courthouse is the fifth built on this site. Constructed in 1898, the building suffered extensive fire damage in 1917 and was rebuilt utilizing the granite walls and great columns of the original structure. However, it now serves as a welcome center and history center for the City of Decatur.

Agnes Scott College

d

Agnes Scott College
141 E. College Ave.
Established in 1889 as Decatur Female Academy, Agnes Scott College was the first school in Georgia to be fully accredited (1907) and is still known for its high academic standards. The campus covers eight blocks and encompasses many residential properties and the Bradley Observatory, which is open to the public the second Friday of each month.

was established in 1889 as Decatur´s Female Academy. It was the first accredited college in the state of Georgia by 1907 and still remains to be one of the more prestigious colleges in terms of academic standards. The campus covers eight blocks and encompasses many residential properties and the Bradley Observatory, which is open to the public the second Friday of each month.


Columbia Theological Seminary

dd

Columbia Theological Seminary
701 Columbia Dr.
Columbia Theological Seminary, an educational institution of the Presbyterian Church (USA), prepares women and men for leadership in ordained and lay ministries through degree programs and lifelong learning opportunities. Its beautiful 52-acre campus anchors the southeastern quadrant of the City.
is a place where men and women of Decatur can go to learn and obtain further knowledge about ministry. It is an educational institution of the Presbyterian Church. It offers many degree programs and offers various opportunities for people to learn about Theology.

 

A walk through Decatur Cemetery

d
Decatur Cemetery
229 Bell St.
A walk through this woodsy, park-like retreat is a stroll through history. Markers of early pioneer settlers are often rough, lichen-covered stones. Later Victorian style markers tend to be ornate with sentimental epitaphs. The oldest part of the cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery's unique well house was built in 1881.
is a small glimpse into the history of the lives and generations building Decatur City took. Markers of early pioneer settlers are often rough, lichen-covered stones. Later Victorian style markers tend to be ornate with sentimental epitaphs. The oldest part of the cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery's unique well house was built in 1881. Constructed by an architecture named William Sayward, Decatur City Hall was used as a City Jail, City Hall, and City Library all at the same time. Now it serves as an administrative building to the ever growing City of Decatur.
d
Decatur City Hall
509 N. McDonough St.
Built in the Neo-classical Revival style, by architect William Sayward. Originally used as the City Library, City Hall and City Jail all in one, the building is now used for administration.
To prepare for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, the downtown area of Decatur underwent renovation, with a focus on the courthouse square area.
The Decatur Railroad Depot was a busy center and focal point of community life that was built in 1891. Now it is being restored along with several other sites by The Decatur preservation alliance.

 

Decatur is home to famous and historic style homes. Every street, district, and neighborhood consists of homes and buildings that contributed and still contributes to the famous Decatur history. Every turn you make in Decatur there is another Located on Church Street and bell street, the Fraser House,

d

Fraser House
Corner of Church St. and Bell St.
This two-roof tenement structure dates to 1870. It is framed with heavy timber, using mortise-and-tenon joinery. The Decatur Preservation Alliance moved the building to Bell St. from its original site on Clairemont Avenue.
still remains standing in its original form from 1870 when it was constructed from raw natural materials. According to the legend of General Sherman, it was said that he stopped by High House during the civil war. High House was the first ever two story house that was built ion Decatur. It is presently located on N. Candler St. and Sycamore St. Even Sycamore Street has a history; it was originally Covington Road.
dd

Originally called Covington Road, this was once a stagecoach route to Augusta through Covington, Madison and Eatonton. It is characterized by its fine houses - some of the largest in Decatur.
Sycamore Street was once a stagecoach route to Augusta through Covington, Madison and Eatonton. It is marked by its luxurious houses which are some of the largest in Decatur. The historic house complex is two of the more historically attractive sites. Home to two separate people, the Swanton House and The Mary Gay House, many inspirations can be tied to this location of Decatur City.

The Mary Gay house
d

716 and 720 W. Trinity Pl.
Two significant Decatur structures and two log cabin homes are located at this site. The Mary Gay House, operated by the DeKalb Junior League, is named for Mary Gay, author of Life in Dixie During the War. Some of her anecdotes later inspired scenes in Margaret Mitchell´s Gone With the Wind. Mark Twain referred to Mary Gay in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, in which some of her poetry is quoted. The Swanton House was home to Ami Williams, one of DeKalb's earliest settlers. It is now operated as a museum by the DeKalb History Center.


is named for Mary Gay, author of Life in Dixie During the War. And The Swanton House was home to Ami Williams, one of DeKalb's earliest settlers. It is now operated as a museum by the DeKalb History Center.

 

The M.A.K. Local Historic District


d

The MAK Local Historic District is named for the three streets (McDonough, Adams and Kings Highway) included in Decatur's first locally designated historic district. The neighborhood is Decatur's first residential subdivision and sought listing as Decatur's first local historic district to protect its unique character.
or the McDonough, Adams, and Kings highway was the first locally designated district in Decatur.


The Methodist Chapel

d

The Methodist Chapel
Corner of Sycamore St. and Commerce Dr.
This chapel of Stone Mountain granite occupies the same property as the original log church, founded in 1826, and known today as Decatur First United Methodist Church.


was built with Stone Mountain granite in the heart of Decatur, located across the street from the present Decatur Library and Decatur Recreation Center. It is built on the same site where the first United Methodist Church of Decatur was founded in 1826.

 

 

Historic Oakhurst

d

Historic Oakhurst
One of the oldest parts of the City of Decatur, this area was the City of Oakhurst before it was annexed by the City of Decatur in the 1920s. It features many examples of bungalow-style residential structures, has a small commercial center and is the location of the old Scottish Rite Hospital, which is listed on the National Register of Historic places.
annexed in the 1920s by the City of Decatur, historic Oakhurst was originally the City of Oakhurst. It is the location of the old Scottish Rite Hospital; it has a commercial business center, and is also home of a luxurious Decatur neighborhood.

 is another building designed and constructed by William Sayward in 1924.

 is one of Decatur´s oldest businesses and it has been around since 1931. Ever since its establishment, it has been known as one of the more premier retailers of rugs and antiques.

, known as the road to the depot, is Decatur´s first official district. It too is glamorized for its beautiful homes.

 

The City of Decatur´s public educational system is independent from the nearby Atlanta Public School System. With four elementary, one middle, and one high school for the entire City of Decatur, Decatur has achieved fine academic accomplishments. As well, Decatur consists of many private schools for people who prefer a more intuitive education. Decatur has one of the highest property tax rates in Georgia, much of which goes to support the high cost of maintaining a school system with one of the lowest student/teacher ratios in the State. The City of Decatur offers a variety of education on the higher level as well, with the locations of Agnes Scott College and Colombia Theological Seminary located in the heart of the city. As well Decatur serves as a neutral point in relevance to surrounding schools and colleges in Atlanta, Georgia. Emory University is located within a few minutes from Decatur City. Also, Devry University and Georgia Perimeter College are located within a few miles to the west of the City of Decatur.

 

The City of Decatur is located minutes outside of Atlanta, Georgia and Stone Mountain, Georgia. Therefore, it shares public transportation with those and other local cities. MARTA is the transportation system for the public of Decatur which runs through to the heart of Atlanta, Georgia. It also extends as far south as the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, and as far north as the ever growing Cities of Buckhead and Marietta, Georgia. MARTA has three stations located within the expansion of the City Of Decatur which provides instant access to many of the primary attractions throughout Decatur and Atlanta, Georgia. In many cases the cities many attractions, events, and memories are within reach of tourists who rather walk, run, or drive. Access to Decatur´s grace and beauty is convenient due to the small size of the city. The City of Decatur provides an outlet from many of the busy, fast-paced events of the greater city of Atlanta.

 

The City of Decatur is a self maintained community that is anchored by its locally owned and managed businesses. Restaurants, shops, firms, and other businesses can be seen throughout the City. There are over 400 businesses and many more opportunities for other ambitious entrepreneurs. Every place adds to the overall feel of the city life and gives people various glimpses into the life of Decatur.

 

The city of Decatur has provided Georgia with some locally well-known attractions and leisure opportunities. There is a bike path that runs through the City of Decatur all the way to the heart of the City of Atlanta. With art galleries, dance halls, stage plays, tours of the historical part of the city, sporting events at the local schools, picnics, parades, and other events, the City of Decatur keeps it´s spirit alive daily. There are nine parks or recreation centers located throughout the City of Decatur. Adair Park, Ebster Park, Glenlake Park, Hidden Cove Park, Mead Road Park, McKoy Park, Oakhurst Park, Scott Park, and Waddell Park. These parks spanned over 50 acres and they provide enjoyment and recreation for visitors and residents. The City of Decatur offers leisure programs for the youth of all ages in terms of education and interaction as well. Such programs as Animal Crackers, WHIZ Kids, 3:00 Project, 21st Century Learning Center Grant, and School's Out.




d

301 E. Howard St.
Built in 1891, the depot was a busy, important part of the life of early Decatur. As current preservation and restoration projects are completed, the depot will once again be a focal point for community activities.  
 
d

Corner of N. Candler St. and Sycamore St.
The first two-story house in Decatur is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. According to legend, General Sherman stopped here during the Civil War.
 
d

108 E. Ponce de Leon Ave. >Click for map
The Pythagoras Masonic Lodge building, built in 1924, was designed by noted architect William Sayward, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
d
368 W. Ponce de Leon Ave.
Located in a distinctive art deco building, Sharian is one of Decatur's oldest businesses. Since 1931, Sharian has been recognized as a premier retailer of fine oriental rugs, offering antique, semi-antique and new rugs. With decades of knowledge they also provide professional cleaning, restoration and appraisals. Sharian's showroom is worth a visit.
 

d

 
Called "the road to the depot" in Caroline McKinney Clarke's The Story of Decatur, 1823-1899, it has some of the loveliest Victorian homes remaining in Decatur. The South Candler Street neighborhood and the campus of Agnes Scott College were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994, becoming Decatur's first official historic district.

 

A couple of links to popular things in  Decatur and Atlanta:

Atlanta's Georgia Acquarium Atlanta Ballet
Atlanta Botanical Gardens Atlanta Braves Baseball
Atlanta Falcons Football Atlanta Hawks Basketball
Atlanta History Center Atlanta Opera
Atlanta Symphony Alliance Theatre
Atlanta Thrashers Hockey Atlanta transit system (Marta)
Coca Cola (world of) Chattahoochee Nature Center
CNN Cyclorama and Civil War Museum
Delta Emory University
Fernbank Science Center Georgia Aquarium
Georgia Census Georgia Department of Transportation
Georgia Museums Georgia State Parks 
Georgia State University Georgia Tech
Georgia World Congress Center High Museum of Art
Home Depot Martin Luther King Center
North Georgia Hiking information Phillips Arena
Road to Tara Museum Six Flags Over Georgia
Stone Mountain Park The Varsity - world famous drive in
University of Ga White Water Park
Zoo Atlanta